Welcome to this new Holly Hapless Blog! And possible problems with WordPress plugins on a sister site.
It is very early days in the development of this new venture and this site will change, greatly, over the days and weeks to come.
At present, this content is purely for testing and familiarisation with problems encountered in earlier blogs and publications.
Holly Hapless is not a person nor is it an assumed persona. Holly Hapless is the brand name and business name of the publishing efforts of Stephen Walker.
This is a virgin installation of multi-site version of WordPress, designed to test complications discovered on other sites which have been around for a few years and may have developed problems or been infected with viruses.
The first task of a new post is to be able to insert an image. The above image is my Dysmetria Twitter post image.
I will now include a second image, to be “hidden” at some point later. If no image is visible, above this paragraph, then the code: <div style=”display:none”> has worked.
The next test will be to test it on the child site post, in due course.
Test successfully accomplished. Images can be successfully “hidden” with the code <div style=”display:none”> on both parent and child site posts.
WordPress Plugins Problems
Unfortunately, this now suggests that the installation at mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk, where this doesn’t work, may have a misbehaving plugin. Either that or hackers have got into it.
In order to rule out potential culprits, one by one, I shall list all of the plugins I have installed on that site.
- Akismet Anti-spam (not a culprit)
- Amazon Link (now discontinued)
- Backup by blogVault
- Column Shortcodes (not sure if this is used)
- Eggplant 301 Redirects
- EU Cookie Law (Checked OK)
- Head, Footer and Post Injections (Checked OK)
- Limit Login Attempts (not a culprit)
- Official StatCounter Plugin (Checked OK)
- Override Comment Deadline (Checked OK)
- Share Buttons by AddThis (Checked OK)
- Simple 301 Redirects
- TablePress (used in only a few posts)
- Thin Out Revisions (Checked OK)
- TSP Easy Dev (optional, now deleted)
- TSP Featured Posts (optional, now deleted)
- WordPress Popular Posts (Discontinued, now deleted)
- WP ConvertKit (Email Leadmagnet)
- WP Hide Post (optional, Checked OK)
- Yoast SEO (essential for SEO and search engine submission, Checked OK)
There are too many plugins, many of them used only occasionally in posts that seldom get any visitors.
I can either
- Install each plugin on this new site
- Disable plugins systematically on the offending site
I am of the mind, at the moment, that the second option would be a lot less work. And it would also be a lot easier to implement.
All this rambling will make very poor reading for a visitor who may stumble across this post. However, this scenario is highly unlikely as a new WordPress site with a single post is unlikely to register very highly in the search engine rankings. Especially as I have not installed Yoast SEO in order to submit the site to the search engines.
Best Laid Plans
Of course. the best laid plans always go awry. And this occasion is no different. Rather than systematically disabling the plugins on the offending site, I have found myself installing all the plugins on this site.
It was not the intention, and I’m still not sure it is going to establish the reason for my problems. Time will tell, perhaps.
Don’t you just hate it when a problem is resolved but you don’t know how?
This has just happened here. I can now successfully hide the images in this and any other post. It is now working exactly as I understand it to work but I don’t know what I have done to change it.
It’s not that I have done nothing. I just haven’t done anything that should have altered the behaviour of my WordPress installation.
I have not even finished isolating plugins as potential culprits. This is most infuriating.
I had been beginning to think the worst; that I may need to do a complete re-installation of WordPress. I could not even rely on my backup as if a virus had been involved, this would be backed up also.
The offending site is a multi-site installation of WordPress, so a re-installation has the potential of being a BIG job. It is, in fact, about 14 sites and I may have needed to install them individually.
So, after all this waffling, I am no further forward. Yes, the offending Blog is now working OK, but I have nothing to tell you.
Crazy Old Man
I started this morning by logging on to the offending site as the administrator. I wanted to check post ownership on each of the sites, but I managed to get confused and thought I had lost a user login.
Not to be outdone, I simply created a new user account and then had to figure out how to transfer ownership of every post to the new account. This turned out to be easier than I anticipated; check out the related post on wpBeginner.
Having sorted out my own stupid mistake, I returned to the image hiding problem, only to discover it had been resolved. It must, somehow, have been a permissions problem of the Blog, and re-assigning the ownership of the posts has sorted it out.
The resolution may have been stumbled upon completely inadvertently. But a resolution is a resolution, so one must not grumble too much.
This post was assembled for one purpose and one purpose alone. It has now served this purpose, so could easily be deleted now.